October ushers in more than the fall season here in Gilbert and Phoenix area; it brings our northern friends and neighbors back from their summer homes in other areas of the United States. I regularly work with homeowners who live in the Phoenix area during the winter months to escape the cold and snowy weather that their northern home will experience. I make sure that their winter home here in Arizona is still in tip top shape so there are no surprises when they return.
I will provide our faraway friends the same information I would provide a potential home buyer, including:
- Problems with the roof
- Flaws with the interior structure of the walls throughout
- Potential flaws with the ceilings throughout
- Any major issues we find with the floors including weakness
- Issues with the foundation
- Moisture damage or decay
- Insect infestations
- Plumbing or pipe concerns
- Insulation and ventilation where possible
- HVAC system
- Electrical System
My detailed home inspection report goes above and beyond. I developed my report using input from buyers, agents, and summer home owners who spend their winters in our warmer climes. My inspection goes beyond the items listed above. I include lighting gas appliances, inspecting lawn sprinkler systems, fencing, gates, and many more items at no additional cost to you. I want your return to the Gilbert area to be surprise-free; unless someone plans a nice welcome home surprise for you, of course!
Before You Travel South
I understand that it’s beginning to get chilly in some of the northern states. Temperatures are dropping to the mid 50s in some areas – too cold for those of us who prefer warm weather year-round. Please remember to winterize your northern home before you leave and start your journey south. Things to remember include:
- Insulate the pipes to prevent freezing
- Apply new weatherstripping to the doors and windows
- Caulk the doors and windows to prevent drafts
- Hire someone to clean the gutters
- Empty all exterior spigots and hoses, including sprinklers
- Set the HVAC system to 45 degrees to help protect your pipes from freezing
- Make sure to lock all doors and windows
- Let your closest friends and neighbors know that you’re leaving for the winter and ask them to look in on the house from time to time
Winterizing your northern home is as important as allowing me to inspect your southern home before you arrive. The last thing you want to do is discover a water leak or broken appliances as soon as you walk through the door. Our detailed report will allow you to make better plans upon your arrival and to order a new refrigerator, for example, if yours is broken.
Give me a call at 480-570-5615 to schedule an inspection for your home. And welcome back to the Gilbert / Phoenix area! I hope you enjoy the nice, warm winter weather our little area of the United States provides.