One mistake that people make when they are buying their first home is not getting a home inspection. This broad-ranging examination can help cut your future home maintenance expenses. Depending on the results of the inspection, you might be able to negotiate with the seller to make repairs or lower the price. It’s nice to improve your bargaining power, especially for such a large investment. However, the importance of the home inspection goes way beyond that. Here are some of the problems that one of my detailed home inspections may reveal:
- Plumbing and heater problems: Issues with the pipes and water heater are common in some older homes. Even in newer homes, the plumbing installation could be substandard, like clogged drain lines, gas lines not supported and insulation against gas heater vents. A proper check will tell you whether you will be making a service call to a plumber soon.
- Leaking roof: Roofs are prone to a variety of problems due to the extreme conditions they have to endure in Phoenix. Before you purchase a home, you should know how much longer the roof will last. It is important to find leaks and problems like loose or missing tiles and flashing.
- Structural and foundation defects: It can cost a lot to repair structural damage, so if this is in the report, you will want to have a structural engineer evaluate further for cause and repair methods.
- Problems with your AC unit: Problems with the AC can range from dirty air filters to the replacement of the non-working unit. The most common issue is clogged condensation drain lines from lack of maintenance.
- Termites or Other Pests: Home inspections can also reveal damage to sections of the home by pests like termites. Although structural damage by termites is rare in a newer home out here in phoenix, you want to treat the termite infestation to prevent future damage.
Generally, inspections are meant to give prospective buyers some peace of mind. Even if there are issues that need to be dealt with, at least you know what they are, and won’t get hit with any major surprises. Making the necessary repairs will automatically boost the value of the property as well. I can help you with your home purchase by telling you everything you need to know about the property. This will be one of your life’s biggest investments, so let us help you make the most of it.
Whether you’re planning to buy or sell a home in the Gilbert, Phoenix or Scottsdale areas, call me for a detailed home inspection. My inspection reports are easy to read and understand. I inspect every area of the home that I have access to and give a completely unbiased report on my findings.