You don’t have to wait until there are leaks to know that your roof needs some attention. An inspection will reveal many problems long before they become major. There are 10 signs that are major indicators of roof problems. It does not need an expert to spot many of the problems listed below.
1. The age of the roof: Roofs can last for years, however, roofs older than 20 years should be inspected to identify any age related damages to the roof.
2. Missing shingles in the valley areas of the roof should not be ignored. This area of the roof is important and is the area from which water ad snow flows into the gutters. When this area of your roof is damaged, there is likely to be leaking.
3. Shingle granules in the gutters: When roofs are approaching their end of life, they tend to lose shingles in greater quantity. Excess amount of shingles granules in your gutters is a clear indication that your roof will soon need to be repaired r replaced.
4. Vents on the roof can pose a peculiar problem as flashing can become loose leaving gaps that can cause issues. Water can seep through and in some cases these cracks in the flashing can cause heating and cooling problems as well.
5. Check for signs of moisture, mold and fungus as this indicates areas where moisture settles. Pooling of water in can happen with various types of roofs, so it is important to check roofs after a heavy rainfall to observe if the water runs off or stays in one place for an extended time. Over time water will eventually seep through to the inside f not corrected.
6. Perform an indoor inspection. This requires checking the ceiling and walls for signs of moisture and leaking. Does the ceiling seem to be sagging when you look up? Do you see dark circles on the ceiling? These are surefire signs of leaking and water damage.
7. You see the sky through any area of the roof while standing in the attic. Light shining through the roof is a normally a bad sign and happens when the damage is pretty bad.
Preventative maintenance is just as important for your roof as it is for your car. It is a good idea to do roof inspections at least twice per year, once during fall before winter starts and once during the spring. If there was any major weather condition that could cause damage to your roof, you should take the time to inspect your roof afterwards. Using a professional and experience is important when it comes to your roof. In some cases your roofing issues could be the result of a poor roofing job in the first place.
The roof is one of the places that I see fail a home inspection more often than not. Roofing material isn’t designed to last forever. Hire someone to perform a specific roof inspection if you’re planning to buy a home in the near future or if you’ve already received a questionable home inspection report due to potential roofing issues. Give me a call at 480-570-5615 if you’re in Gilbert or the surrounding areas and looking for a home inspector to ensure the home you’re considering buying is the diamond in the rough that you want instead of a lemon.