We all love the idea of updating our home and making sure it is well maintained. Unfortunately we don’t all enjoy the work that goes along with it. Would you believe me if I said you don’t have to spend a fortune every time you dive into a home improvement project? Let’s look at some cosmetic changes you can make to various parts of your home that will help protect it from the sun’s damaging rays and keep it looking amazing.
- A Grand Entrance: Entry door replacement isn’t always necessary simply because you want to make a change in the appearance of the entry area. Create a new entryway simply by repainting the door, paint the surrounds as well if you have them, get a new welcome mat, and add plants in decorative planters. Install new decorative lighting to really top off the look.
- A New Kitchen Backsplash: Metal is the new tile where kitchen backsplashes are concerned. Go with stainless is a wonderful option for the kitchen. Choose something that will really make a difference in the appearance of your kitchen. Consider where the backsplash is and the type of light it will reflect before you choose a specific color. You want to make sure that the color that reflects onto your appliances and countertops will be one you love.
- Architectural Intrigue: Crown molding, base trim, and chair rail in strategic places create amazing architectural enhancements to any home. Chair rail and other types of trim, when used on the ceiling, allow you to create intricate designs that draw attention and create a sophisticated air in any room. Planning is the most difficult part of this project, so take your time. The actual implementation can be accomplished in a single weekend.
- Paint Something: Yes I’m intentionally leaving this one a little vague. Start small and paint the smallest bathroom in the house. Choose another small room or an accent wall in a primary living space for next weekend’s paint project. Paint the kitchen cabinets as part of a surface makeover for your kitchen.
- Tiny Details: Take an entire weekend and focus on the tiny details. Replace the hardware on the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, the shower curtains and rods, get new lamps or lamp shades, replace old light bulbs with more energy efficient bulbs, and change the faceplates for all light switches and plug-in outlets. These very small details throughout your home make a big difference in the appearance of each room. Allow the inhabitants from each bedroom to choose, or make, the light switch and electrical outlet covers so they’re custom.
Some of these projects may seem a little difficult to tackle in a single weekend. That’s okay, take your time and plan them thoroughly. Don’t be afraid to ask your partner, your children, or even your friends for help. Free pizza is a great bribery tool, by the way. Who can resist free pizza simply for helping you work on some home improvement projects?
Home improvement projects often uncover things about our home that we don’t notice through everyday use. Give me a call if you discover something that seems a bit worrisome or if you feel that your home is overdue for a routine inspection. I won’t even eat up all of your pizza in the process.